Sunday, April 25, 2010

Palm Trees Are Blowin'

Sorry it has taken me so long to get something posted about vacation.  I've been trying to catch up on cleaning & laundry, as well as wrapping up grad school class #2.  Now that I have some free time on my hands, I can finally sit down and blog about it.

The bee incident delayed our flight a little bit, but we finally made it to St. Thomas!  I was really worried about the weather, because the forecast called for rain EVERY DAY!  The nice thing about the Caribbean is that it does rain every day, but only for about 10 minutes.  It took me a few days to remember that again, but we were fortunate to have great weather while we were there.

On Monday, we went sailing and snorkeling on the Rumbaba.  If you ever go to St. Thomas, this is trip you MUST do!  We did it the last time we were there and loved it!  We met Captain Bobby at one of the harbors and were ready to set sail for the day.  We ended up sailing with two other couples, both from England and they were great company!  The only bad thing that happened was that I got a little seasick....ugh!  Not that I've spent a lot of my life on the water, but I have never gotten sick from being on the water before.  Let's just say they had to stop the boat so I could spend some time looking over the side.  Once I got that out of the way, I was ready to go.

We anchored at Christmas Cove which is supposedly where Christopher Columbus spent a Christmas.  The water was absolutely stunning.  We spent most of our time snorkeling at this location.  As soon as we got off the boat, we saw stingrays.  And thank goodness!  Last time we did this trip, Justin missed the stingrays and I never heard the end of it.  Thank the Lord this was the first thing we saw!  After snorkeling for awhile, we enjoyed lunch which was FANTASTIC!  I think this may have been the best food we had while on vacation.  After lunch, Justin went out snorkeling some more, and I chose to stay on the boat to get some sun!

Tuesday was spent taking it easy.  We went shopping at a couple of their malls.  I hadn't intended on buying anything, but ended up with a Coach purse.  A real Coach purse...not a knockoff!  I've always wanted a NICE, brand-name purse, but couldn't get myself to spend that kind of money.  Well, believe it or not, Justin is the one who told me to buy it.  I was shocked!  I think he was too when I ended up picking a different purse than the one he thought I wanted...let's just say it was a little pricier.  Thank goodness for tax-free and duty-free shopping!

Wednesday we ended up going to the British Virgin Islands.  The last time we went to St. Thomas, we didn't get to do this as we didn't have passports.  This time we did.  Our first stop was the Baths at Virgin Gorda.  And let me tell you, this place was stunning!  You would think it would be water, but turns out it is really large rocks.  You have to crawl and climb for a little ways to get there, but it is definitely worth it!



Our next stop was the caves at Norman Island.  This is an uninhabited island, but is home to the original Treasure Island.  We spent time snorkeling there as well.  I felt a little tense there as this is all protected as part of the parks system.  You have to be very careful not to touch anything as it will destroy it.  Let me tell you, some of the entrances to the caves were tight.



The last stop on the trip was to the island of Jost Van Dyke.  Home to 250 people, and the 3rd largest New Year's Eve Party.  Crazy to think, but usually 10,000-12,000 people come here to ring in the New Year.  The cool thing about this little island is that the only way to access it is to anchor your boat, jump in, and swim to shore.  How cool is that?!  Anyways, it consists of little beach bars which includes the Soggy Dollar Bar.  Click on the link to check it out!



We ended up taking Thursday as an easy day as well.  We stuck around the resort for most of the day.  I was sad that it was almost time to come home and that vacation was coming to an end.  After all, I did wait a REALLY LONG TIME for this vacation to happen!  I must say that this was an absolute fabulous trip, and made Justin and I realize that we do want to vacation as much as our budget will allow us to.  We are already starting to plan our next vacation....we're thinking two-week trip to Europe!

No comments: