Sunday, July 11, 2010

On The Wall

Finally....the DIY project is complete!  The wainscoting is up on the wall and so is some artwork.  I have some before and after pictures below.

Let me start with the artwork though.  The problem really comes in the fact that I watch too much HGTV.  I watch it at home, I watch it when I'm on the treadmill at the gym, I search page after page on HGTV.com...really, I'm obsessed.  (If only I could be as dedicated to my homework as I am to HGTV!)  Anyways, I have this image in my head of things that I've seen on the shows, and I am trying to put this image into real life.  So, I decide on what kind of artwork I need.  I have this willow/branch motif going on in my head, and you would think that artwork for this would be easy to find right.....wrong!  I spent countless nights on the Internet searching way past my bedtime for what I wanted in the bathroom.  (Also thinking that it probably had to be something Justin might like as well.)  Finally one night, I found it.  I found the metal art piece I was looking for.  Now if only the store had it when I went there.  So, the other day on my lunch, I ran to Pier 1 and I was lucky....they had it!  It looked massive in the store, so I bought it and something else to bring home to see if I liked it once I got it in the bathroom.  I was in luck....I loved it.  And now, it's hanging on the wall.

As for the wainscoting, it turned out to be harder than expected.  Lowe's.com said this project was intermediate, but I think they lied.  Justin also thought this part of the project would be easy, but based on the obscenities I heard coming from the bathroom that was far (and I mean VERY far) from the case.  I even got one of the "we're never doing this again" speeches....it must have been bad!  Justin was pretty worried about how it was going to turn out once he started it, but thanks to some spackling and paint, we're pretty impressed.

Justin worked so hard on this project!  He devoted a lot of time over the past two weeks working on this room doing things that he has never done before.  He absolutely loves learning new things, so this was a great project for him.  He is already talking about tiling the other bathrooms in the house since this one went fairly easy.

I still have a couple of pieces that need to go in the bathroom as in another picture above the toilet and a vase/picture frame on the counter.  However, this room that has been an eyesore to me is finally transformed!  My next project is the master bedroom since we FINALLY bought bedroom furniture, then it's on to the dining room because we also FINALLY bought a dining room table and chairs.  The bedroom furniture is here, and maybe some day I'll get some pics of it posted.  As for the dining room furniture, it's finally arrived on U.S. soil, but I don't know when we'll get it here in TN.  Either way...a huge props goes to my father-in-law for getting us some great deals on the furniture.  Hopefully in the fall we'll start work on the unfinished bonus room, so I'm sure that will be an adventure you'll want to stick around for.

Before & Afters
  • The first picture is what the bathroom looked like when we bought the house.
  • The next pic is from when we painted it after moving in.
  • The last picture is from our recent DIY project

2 comments:

Jessica Shumway said...

So beautiful! The wainscoting was worth it. :) Beautiful room.

Kyle & Jill said...

OOHH I love it!! Where did you get the flower metal decor thing?? It goes really well in there!