Wednesday, April 27, 2011

On Wisconsin

A couple of weekends ago Justin and I headed north to Madison, Wisconsin for his co-worker's (Beth) wedding.  We decided it would be a nice little weekend getaway.

We made it to Wisconsin late Friday night and Saturday morning, decided to head downtown.  Now if your memory serves you correctly, Madison is where the teachers union began protesting.  And it's still going on.  In case it wasn't obvious, Justin and I are conservative in our values.  (So to my teacher friends, I'm sorry if I offend you, but I do not support your union.)  Where I'm going with this is that our trip downtown was obviously interesting to say the least.  I heard one teacher mention that she was having her students sing anti-war songs in the classroom.  I would oppose this even if she was teaching them pro-war songs because that is not why those students are in that classroom!  Anyways, we walked almost all the way down to the University of Wisconsin campus and turned around to head back to find lunch closer to our hotel.

We went to Beth's wedding and reception later that night.  Her reception was at the Monona Terrace where we had a fabulous view of Lake Monona.  She even gave out Gigi's Cupcakes as her favors...made me feel like I was back in Nashville!  The reception was very nice, but we called it an early night since Justin doesn't dance and we had a long drive ahead of us the next day.



We took a different route than coming through Chicago since the White Sox had a home game, and ended up going through Champaign-Urbana.  That's probably the closest I'll get to University of Illinois while I'm in grad school there.

No comments: