I decided for 2012 that I was going to try to be more self-sufficient in an attempt to also save some money. I love vegetables straight from the garden and can't wait until the threat of frost in Indiana has passed so I can plant my garden in the backyard. Meanwhile, I've tried to get an early start indoors. No, I'm not attempting to be a "
Doomsday Prepper" (although I do keep a few supplies in the basement in case of tornadoes), but I would like to be able to rely on myself for some things. So, new for 2012 is an indoor herb garden. Of course the idea came from Pinterest, modified to work in my house.
I don't really have a good space on my kitchen wall where this would get the sunlight it needs, so instead, I've adopted the Ball Jars to sit on my kitchen window ledge.
I'm trying my hand this summer at basil, cilantro, oregano and parsley, and as you can tell, it appears I will be successful at this task. I've always considered myself to have a green thumb. This is most likely the closest to being a farmer I'll ever be.