Friday, July 20, 2012

The Struggles Make You Stronger


What I love about blogging is that it allows me to share or talk about whatever information I want.  It can be exciting news…it can be informative…it can be full of happiness…and it can be full of sorrow.  Today's blog is going to be filled with a little bit of "all of the above."

Please allow me to start with the exciting and happy news.  We are thrilled to announce that Baby Stewart will be arriving in January of 2013!  This has been an absolute blessing, but before I tell you where we are, let me tell you where we’ve been.  

Baby Stewart at 8 weeks


Allow me to begin with a disclaimer, that this post may turn into a soapbox.  However, it's a soapbox that I've been quiet about for two years.  My hope is that my blog may serve as a platform to help others who may be struggling with the same issues, in addition to helping people understand others life situations while being a little more sensitive to what they may be going through.  I completely understand that we all have our battles we are facing - but regardless the battle, some choose to fight it in silence for personal reasons, which is what we did.  Yes, we live in a world where we are constantly having to be politically correct, however, too many people choose to live in a world where they are more concerned about being “in the know” than maybe considering that what they are asking someone about is something they are struggling with.

Please know that what I am about to share is coming straight from the heart.  I may offend or hurt others feelings, but please consider how much mine have trampled on as well.  Many will NEVER be able to understand the pain we’ve experienced, and as much as you may try, you will just never get it.  So, here it goes...

What only a small handful of people know is that we’ve struggled with infertility for two years.  I’m not going to share whether it’s male factor or female factor or both, because it doesn’t matter.  It’s a battle that Justin and I are fighting together.  Why have I kept this information private?  Couples who struggle with infertility almost feel ashamed.  They feel that something is wrong with them and that they are not normal because they cannot conceive a child.  Infertility has so many facets that people like to gossip about, and honestly I just haven’t felt like being the talk of the town.

According to Resolve.org, the National Infertility Association, Although most people don’t believe it, infertility is a disease…a life crisis.  One in eight couples, or more than 7 million people, experience it.  To give you a better idea, the pain from infertility is similar to the grief over losing a loved one, but it is unique because it is a recurring grief. When a loved one dies, he/she isn't coming back. There is no hope that he/she will come back from the dead. You must work through the stages of grief, accept that you will never see this person again, and move on with your life.  The grief of infertility is not so cut and dry. Infertile people grieve the loss of the baby that they may never know. Each month, there is the hope that maybe that baby will be conceived after all. No matter how hard they try to prepare themselves for bad news, they still hope that this month will be different. Then, the bad news comes again, and the grief washes over the couple. This process happens month after month, year after year. It is like having a deep cut that keeps getting opened right when it starts to heal.



So if you’ve wondered why we’ve been married so long and have no children or why I avoid conversations on babies, I hope this gives you some insight.  

Our journey to get to this point in our lives has been filled with more doctor appointments than I can count, more tears than anyone should ever shed, and far too many medications.  I never thought I would be a person who would need to use Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), because who doesn’t think that they can get pregnant whenever they want.  After all, it happens to everyone all the time, right?  Let me just say that God truly created a miracle when He decided that we should be able to have children.  While I’m sure you’ve always considered life to be precious, you consider it even more so when you have traveled our path.

Please be thoughtful and considerate if you are going to ask someone when they are going to have a baby.  Maybe they want to, but because of medical conditions, they just can’t.  Or maybe, while it’s difficult for some to believe, they just don’t want children.  Please respect their decision in what they wish to share.  In addition, please don’t tell those who are struggling to become pregnant to “Just Relax” or “Have you thought about adoption?”  These statements and questions don’t help, but instead push the dagger into someone’s heart just a little bit deeper.  There may in fact be a medical condition that they are facing that is preventing their dream of being a parent from becoming reality.  I know several couples who are struggling with infertility, and for all different reasons, and let me tell you, we all have had countless hurtful things said to us.  When I say we could write a book on what not to say on this subject - trust me - we could write a whole series!

Questions like this don’t have to apply to just having children.  Perhaps the person who has not found a significant other would prefer to be single…or maybe they are struggling with their sexuality…or perhaps they are longing for that special someone and just haven’t been able to find them yet.  Or maybe that person without a job was let go for unjust reasons and doesn’t want to discuss it….or maybe they struggle with not feeling like they are able to provide for their family.  We all face uncertain heartaches in our lifetime and I challenge you to start asking people, “Why don’t you tell me a little about yourself,” instead of, “Are you married?” or “When are you going to have kids?”

Over the next few weeks, I will share more of our personal journey in regards to infertility and pregnancy.  If you have the time, I encourage you to watch this YouTube video.  While my story is not the same as the person who produced this video, it shares many of the same feelings and emotions that all individuals who experience infertility go through.