I know I've only been back in Indiana for three weeks now, but I am SO OVER this winter weather! It appears that it is never going to stop either! As I type this post, I have 4 inches of ice topped with about 6 inches of snow, and I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Ugh!
I also have this obsessive need to have a spotless sidewalk and driveway, but for now it's going to remain covered. Even though my neighbor's is spotless (and I'm jealous), I don't care. Normally, I'm out there doing whatever I can to get this stuff to disappear, but I've learned this is one battle I am not going to win. I have no tools whatsoever that can break through that ice. Our builder highly recommends that we do not use any sort of deicer on our cement so that greatly limits the possibility of making this stuff go away! On top of that, our driveway is not even a year old yet which also limits what we can do since we haven't been able to seal the concrete. Spring..where are you?
The other day I had this brilliant idea to shovel the snow off of the ice. How else is the sun going to melt it if it staying insulated. Well, I didn't get very far before I wiped out on the driveway. I didn't fall gracefully either. I was pretty close to face-planting, and it didn't feel good. I somehow managed to fall forward, land on my left shoulder and smack my head into the ice. Ouch! All of this while I was home by myself too...probably not a great idea. So what did I do? I got up quickly and looked around to see if any of the builders/construction workers saw me fall, then ran inside in case I ended up passing out. Trust me-I wasn't going to fall down out there again and lay in it. This fall was brutal! I'm still hurting from it. I think this may be sign that I am getting old.
Another reason I wanted to clean the driveway was because the van line was coming to pick up all of the boxes from the move. I didn't know how they were going to get up and down the driveway because I can barely make it to the mailbox without falling down. Well, the good news is that I was able to get the garage door open. The bad news is that the trash cans were in front of the door and frozen to the driveway. Not a brilliant idea on my part, but I grabbed the hammer and chiseled the trash can out. Don't worry, I closed my eyes while I was doing this so I didn't take any shards of ice to the eyes. One injury was enough for one week. One of the movers did fall down on the ice, but at least this was easy work for them as all they had to was place the boxes on the ice and give them a little push to slide down to the curb where someone else would load them on a truck.
Wherever you are, and regardless how much of this Snowpocalypse you experienced, I hope you are staying safe and warm!
Layers of ice
Our nature-made ice rink
This ice is everywhere!
Ice, Ice Baby




No comments:
Post a Comment