Saturday, February 12, 2011

Taught Me To Drive

I guess you could say that I am officially a Hoosier again.  Today, I surrendered my Tennessee license at the BMV in exchange for an Indiana one.  I pulled out my birth certificate, passport, social security card, and two pieces of what he BMV considers appropriate mail in hopes that I would pass the written exam.  That's right, I had to take the written exam...it doesn't matter if you've been an Indiana driver before or not.  Call me a geek, but I did look through the driver's manual.  First off, there are some laws that vary by state so I thought I should see if anything has changed in the 3 years I've been gone.  Secondly, do you know how many feet Indiana law says you must signal before turning or changing lanes?

POP QUIZ:  
How many feet must you signal before turning and/or changing lanes?  (and no cheating either!)

A) 100 Feet    B)  150 Feet    C) 200 Feet    D) 250 Feet

Obviously I passed, but what I found strange was the State of Indiana gave me my old Driver's License Number back.  That's right, I have the same DLN from when I got my license when I was 16.  Now, I know you're thinking, "How did she know this?"  Well, I didn't remember my number exactly, but I thought it looked familiar, and I asked the guy.  Don't you think it's funny they gave me the same number I had last time, yet still made me take the test?

I had planned to plate my car today (with a nice Indiana University plate, of course), but unfortunately, I forgot the title to the car which means I'll have to go back.  Better news though than what Justin received.  Even though I made sure I had all of the documents he would need to get his Indiana license, he forgot his Tennessee license.  He had to show it at the bank the other day and never put it back in his wallet.  Bummer for him. On the other hand, I even knocked out my voter registration today too....it's so nice to be able to do this all in one place again!

I now have a paper copy of my driver's license.  Who knew you couldn't get your license at the BMV anymore?  Apparently the new Indiana licenses are more secure and help prevent identity theft, so in 10 days, my new license should arrive in the mail.  It's all starting to become official.

By the way, are you wanting to know if your pop quiz answer is right?

The correct answer is C) 200 Feet

No comments: