Saturday, February 12, 2011

So Long Before You Break

As I mentioned in a previous post, my welcome back to Indiana wasn't the smoothest.  One story I haven't had time to share happened last week.  Since I haven't been working, I've been staying up late and sleeping in late...I'm a natural night owl.  So, the other morning at 7:20 A.M., our security system alarm was screaming!  I laid in bed thinking that Justin forgot to shut it off before he opened the door to leave for work because this has happened before.  However, it quickly hit me that Justin was in Dallas.

I jumped out of bed ran downstairs and entered the code to shut it off.  I'll admit, I'm not one who can think very quickly in the morning so I'm standing there looking around and then think, "What if someone is in the house?"  I should have thought of that first before getting out of bed, but I didn't.  You all know that I have a permit to carry a handgun so it's no surprise that I went back upstairs to grab my gun.  However, I learned quickly that I probably wouldn't make a very good cop as I should have grabbed this first before heading downstairs.

I called Justin in Dallas and woke him up to tell him about what happened.  Nothing was open or broken, so I wasn't really sure why it went off.  He told me to check the door to the garage as I probably didn't close it tight enough the first time.  Sure enough, it was slightly ajar.  However, Justin mentioned that I should check the garage.  So, I opened the door holding my gun (I'm sure very similar to a Charlie's Angel) to see everything was fine.

Either way, I didn't shut the door tight.  Rest assured I'll never make that mistake again.!  I don't know if there was a gust of air pressure from the garage or the vibrations from the construction equipment driving up and down the street that pushed the door open. I'll just say it sure had my blood pumping!

No comments: