Tuesday, July 19, 2011

First Sweet Taste

Zoe had her first (& only) sweet taste of chocolate.

In the 8 years that we have had Zoe, she has never once taken anything off of a table or a plate.  In fact, we've left bits of cereal lay out on the coffee table tempting her all day while we were away only to come home and find the pieces still there.  And, we've bragged about how great our dog is when it comes to leaving food lay around.  Unfortunately, Zoe ruined our bragging rights.

Over the 4th of July, our friends, the Newman's from Tennessee, came to visit us.  As we went out on the back deck to watch neighborhood fireworks, I heard Justin shout at the top of his lungs, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"  I rushed inside to see the small plate of my Kahlua-soaked brownie dessert with chocolate mousse, Heath pieces and Cool Whip (trust me---it's deelish!) licked clean off of the plate.  Luckily, there was not much left, but it was enough for us to rush her to the emergency vet.

$201 later...we had a quick exam from the on-call vet along with a shot to induce vomiting to get the chocolate out of her stomach.  I don't think I've ever been so furious!  The look in Zoe's eyes was one of "I screwed up big time, didn't I?  I even remember Justin looking at Zoe and saying, "If the chocolate doesn't kill you, Audra might."

Long story short...Zoe's fine. I still think my she is pretty great, but I can't brag about her as much as I used to.  I guess the good news is that she thought my dessert was good to.

No comments: