Sunday, September 2, 2012

Go Out Shopping

For quite awhile now, I've been wanting to go out and go shopping for the nursery.  I have a basic idea of what I want regardless if we are having a boy or a girl.  Everything I'm looking at is gender neutral, and then once we find out if Baby Stewart is a boy or a girl, I have my accent colors picked out.

I recently found out about a store, located 30 minutes from our home, that is nothing but baby furniture (cribs, rockers, bedding, etc), and I couldn't wait to make the trip there.  With it being a holiday weekend, today seemed like the perfect day to go and check it out.  I had been browsing online through all of the brands they carried and pinned several items to one of my boards so I knew exactly what I wanted to look at while I was there.

Below is a selection of nursery furniture I have my eye on:





I've also informed Justin that I want a swivel glider rocker for the nursery.  So I had to sit in several of those today, and I was able to quickly narrow down my selection to two chairs, as well as pick out some fabrics.  I plan to pick a neutral color so that we can eventually move it into the living room some day down the road.





Now bedding is something that I have had a difficult time picking out.  I know what I'm looking for, but I haven't been able to find it.  Personally, I'm not a fan of theme bedding (sports, ABCs, zoo animals, etc) - it's just not my taste.  Hence one reason why this has been so difficult - that is all most of the baby stores carry.  Meanwhile, this store had a set that I loved.



The bad news - it's EXPENSIVE!  If the company's prices are higher than Pottery Barn - I'm out.  Why do the celebrities have to like the same thing as I do? It only drives up the price for the average person.  Justin said it was okay to spend that much once he found out Drew Brees and his wife used this brand of bedding for one of their children.  I disagreed.  So, I'm toying with the idea of making my own nursery bedding.  Am I crazy or what?  I already found fabric I love (for way less than what you can buy the designer brand), and the online tutorials look pretty easy.  (I figure if all else fails - I have some very talented aunts who I'm sure could help me out....at least that is what I hope!)  My friend, Anna, says that is one of the things she loves about me - if I can't find it, I make it myself.  After all, I was able to sew/make this blanket:



I have to say I'm pretty proud of this blanket as I've been working on it since I was in elementary school (I'm not kidding either.  I got this when I was in the 2nd grade).  One of my grandma's bought it for me, and I worked on and off with it for years.  When I found out we were pregnant, I knew I had to finish it.  The binding is what held me up.  I had no idea how to do it!  Again - thank you Internet for all of your online tutorials!

We will be finding out soon if it's a boy or a girl, and then it's full speed ahead on the nursery!  It needs to be done by November 1 - that's when the maternity photos are scheduled!

No comments: