I had heard from my neighbor that there were several hummingbirds in our neighborhood. So, I put up a feeder and hoped that they would find it. Last year, it wasn't very successful. I saw one hummingbird at the end of the summer and that was it. On the other hand, this year, we've had SEVERAL hummingbirds. I love to watch them. Their schedule is pretty predictable. They are always there during lunch, and then again in the evening around dinner. It appears that we have 3 of them who frequent our feeder.
However, there is one hummingbird that is starting to ruin all the fun. We've nicknamed him Mr. Fatty.
Let me tell you, this little guy does not like to share this feeder with ANYONE! He will sit out there on those little stands for hours! As soon as another hummingbird flies up, he chases them off. It's kind of funny to watch. Mr. Fatty will also perch on the top of the iron stand and stand guard. This stand is right outside our kitchen window, and even when you approach the window he does not fly away.
Lately, the hummingbirds have been downing the food that we have put in. So, Justin went out and filled up the feeder. What he told me was that apparently Mr. Fatty didn't like that as he dive bombed him. Justin said it was pretty cool though to watch him hover in the air right in front of his face.
So yes, I'm finding entertainment in watching hummingbirds. Is this a sign that I am getting old?
No comments:
Post a Comment