Thursday, October 2, 2008

You're not gonna feel a thing, we'll give you some Novicane

OK...so I HATE going to the dentist! I try to avoid it at ALL cost! But now, since Justin and I have this wonderful thing called Dental Insurance, I thought I should go. My first visit to a dentist in town turned out to be a nightmare! I'm serious when I say that I left their office in tears! Weeks later when someone finally returned my call about having a "few" cavities filled, the bearer of bad news said that it was MUCH worse than that! We were talking some extensive work here! Seriously, I take pretty good care of my teeth, however, I've been blessed with some genetically bad teeth that no matter how well I take care of them...I still have problems. Needless to say, I went and got a second opinion which turned out MUCH better than the first. I'm glad I did too. I just got the estimate on how much the work at the first dentist was going to cost me, and after insurance I was going to have to pay $2200! I think someone wants to put their kids through college quickly!

So anyways...I went back to the second opinion dentist to get my cavities filled (and I made it out of the dentist's office yesterday for under $100!) Ask Justin...I'm a baby when it comes to getting my teeth worked on. Of course he has absolutely NO sympathy for me because of all his dental implants/artificial jaw bone work. (He just told me that when he busted out his teeth, he had to have like 22 shots...in the mouth! That just makes me squirm!) All day at work all I could think about was this appointment and, "Do I take the laughing gas or no?" Really, I think it all boiled down to the fact that I was more afraid of the Novicane shot then anything else! I went home from work, changed my clothes, grabbed my iPod (hoping to drown out the noise of the drilling) and headed to the dentist's office! In the end, I decided to be a big girl (suck it up) and do without the laughing gas (what was I thinking??---but I'm sure Dad's proud!!) I did have a shot for the tooth on top, but really sucked it up for the bottom. That's right...no laughing gas...no novicane! Did my iPod drown out the drilling...absolutely not! In a world with all of the technology that we have, can we not invent a drill that doesn't make that hideous noise!?

In the end...I survived. I'm in some pain, and I can't eat a lot of hard food yet, but I'm still alive!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I HATE the dentist too. This post made me squirm just reading it!! I am glad you survived.