Saturday, March 7, 2009

Gunpowder & Lead

Today was the big day! Justin and I went and took our gun safety course and then went to the range! I was pretty impressed with our shooting skills considering that neither of us has ever really shot a hand gun before. I think the last time I shot a gun was maybe when I was like 9 (maybe even younger), and I was with dad. I remember that he tried to get me to shoot a can that was sitting on top of the swing set. Instead, I missed completely and fired a bullet into the wheat field. You could clearly see the bullet line going through a portion of the field. As for Justin, he hadn't fired a gun since he was about 7. He was actually at a shooting range. Not so much of a story for him.

The class was a little long, the videos were from the early 90s (so we're talking big hair and very outdated sunglasses), and the chairs were SUPER uncomfortable. So after getting updated on the rules/regulations that have since changed, we took the 30-question exam. I was pretty nervous about the exam to be honest. However, when I saw that one of the multiple choice answers to a question about where to safely store a gun was a child's toy box, I figured that I was pretty good to go.

We had a short break, so we came home and let the dog out and then headed up to the shooting range. Justin and I both shot 50 rounds on a .38 Special. We both really enjoyed it! What a way to spend quality time with your spouse, right?! After getting our paperwork and information on what else we need to do to get our actual permits, we were on our way home! The first thing I had to do was call dad and tell him! Seriously...a daughter getting her gun permit (which includes carrying concealed) should make any dad proud!

Below are the photos of our targets. Notice that we both got 100! Justin's is the first one and mine follows. And while it looks like I was aiming for the head, the sheet was actually folded over and those are shots I took higher up on the body. Oh---and I have to put this....Justin was SO EXCITED about getting pictures of the targets when we got home. He stood on the arm of the love seat to get a shot from directly above them. I immediately told him to get down and he did not listen. (Go figure!) But what did happen was that he broke the arm. I heard the crack and his excitement immediately went away. Good thing I don't have that permit yet! ;-)

1 comment:

Kyle & Jill said...

oh man I am so envious of you right now!! I would love to go to the shooting range, I just don't think my doctor (or unborn child) would appreciate it! You are a natural!!