Monday, April 27, 2009

And Let the Horses Run

On Friday, I took a vacation day and traveled with Justin to Lexington, Kentucky to go to Keeneland. Justin was entertaining a couple of his clients and some end-users with a tailgate before heading inside to watch the horse races. I helped Justin by making all of the tailgate food, and let me tell you...that was a lot of work! I cooked/baked for 2 days! Then I had to get up at 4:30 AM Friday morning so we could be out the door and on the road by 5:30 AM! That was a little bit of a damper for my vacation day! We had absolutely gorgeous weather for the day and everyone seemed to have a really good time!

This was the first time that Justin and I had ever bet on horses, let alone been to a horse race. I'll tell you up front that we didn't win any money betting on the horses. :-( There was one race that we were SO CLOSE, but two of the three horses we picked finished first and third instead of first and second like they needed to for the type of bet we placed. And speaking of bets...I had NO IDEA that there were so many different ways to place a bet on a horse....place, show, trifecta, exacta, superfecta, etc. Not to mention that you could box a trifecta, box an exacta...what the heck does all of this stuff mean!? Justin and I tried to learn the terminology quickly, but knowing what it meant of not, I don't think it would have helped!
A Beautiful Day at the Races
Watching the Races

Out in the paddock watching the horses before they head into the track

Justin placing another bet

Race on the Turf Track
This was the race we were SO CLOSE to winning!

And they're off!

Former UK Basketball Coach Billy Gillespie
I can't believe that they haven't run him out of town yet!

No comments: