Monday, August 10, 2009

And He Told Her of His Heart

Phone Rings

A: Hey! I'm so excited to finally get to talk to you!
J: I'm in the emergency room.
A: What? What for?
J: My heart palpitations are back.
A: What hospital are you at?
J: Washington Regional
A: What city are you in?
J: Fayetteville
A: Are you by yourself?
J: No. Anita's with me.

If you could only imagine how helpless I felt when I received the phone call with this information! Here is Justin in an emergency room, 8 hours from home. I've just started a new job and have zero time built up to take off and I have no idea if the doctors are going to admit him to the hospital or not. Thank goodness one of Justin's co-workers was with him through this whole thing or I may have had a panic attack! All I could do was just try to get some sleep while waiting for another phone call to find out what was going on with Justin. If you saw my facebook status about feeling helpless...this was why! (I would like to mention that I have some great neighbors who called me within two minutes of my status update and volunteered to drive me to Arkansas. I'm so thankful to have neighbors who watch out for us!)

I don't know if I should say I was glad this was why he was in the ER or not. My first reaction to, "I'm in the emergency room," was he's been in a car accident. Given the fact that he travels as much as he does, and all I could hear was the beeping of hospital machines in the background, I immediately thought the worst. Who wouldn't? We've been through this heart palpitations situation before, however, it was 5 years ago. With medication, we thought it was over. Not true. It's back.

Luckily, after several tests at the emergency room in Arkansas, the doctors didn't feel it was anything to be concerned about. Sure they saw his pre-ventricular contraction (PVC) on his EKG, but everything else came back normal.

When Justin came home on Friday, he looked EXHAUSTED! I honestly haven't seen Justin look this bad in quite some time. We cancelled all of our weekend plans to allow Justin to rest over the weekend.

Today (Monday), Justin went and saw his doctor. He has referred him onto a cardiology group in downtown Nashville. From there he will see an EP specialist (Electrophysiologist maybe? I really don't know what it stands for). Either way, his regular doctor doesn't feel that this arrhythmia is anything to be concerned about. It's not life-threatening, just an annoyance. Easy for him to say right?

So, if you think about it...say a little prayer for Justin! Please keep your fingers crossed that maybe the doctors will finally be able to give us a definite answer in regards to Justin's health. Often, he feels like his heart is going to beat right out of his chest. All I want is for him to feel normal again.

No comments: