Monday, October 26, 2009

Just Passing Through

What a whirlwind of a weekend! Passing through was pretty much what we did every place we went. I am still trying to recover. I think we spent more time in the car traveling than we did anything else, and I think that wore us out the most. However, I will say that this was by far the most beautiful trip back to Indiana that we had ever had. We haven't hit our peak season yet for our fall foliage in Tennessee, but Kentucky was right in the middle of theirs. Even though it looked like Indiana's had passed, it was still gorgeous. Fall is my favorite time of year for so many reasons. Sorry for the blurry pic, but it was the best I could get from inside the car.


Anyways, back to our weekend. It was pretty much a reunion weekend all the way around. Let me give you a quick rundown of what our weekend was like. On Friday, we left Nashville almost immediately after I got home from work. We headed to Brownsburg to stay with our friends, the Tooley's. They were nice enough to let us crash out their place. We felt horrible because we barely got to spend any time with them. However, the time we did get gave us enough time to catch up and for me to meet their son, Evan, for the first time. It only took me a year and a half.

Saturday morning we were up bright and early to head back to West Lafayette for the Purdue vs. Illinois football game. I had planned a reunion/tailgate for Justin's intramural softball team, and we had a pretty decent turnout. I had been up late most of the week preparing for the tailgate by making chili (with some local Tennessee product in it of course!) and cornbread muffins. I also made everyone's favorite treat, scotcheroos! I used to make treats for every softball game...it's amazing how guys this age still get excited for treats after a game! The time was too short, but it was so good to see everyone again. Zoe even hung out with us at the tailgate until it was time to take her to a local vet for game day boarding. (Yes Nikki---you read right. Game day boarding at the vet. Don't worry...everyone else said the same thing you're thinking, "You've got to be kidding!") From there, we headed to the stadium where we got to watch the game from the press box. Apparently I was a good enough employee that my old boss' still let me come back (Thanks Dave & Bobbe!). I got to hang out with all of my old Gladieux employees/friends and catch up! For several of them, I hadn't seen them since I left almost two years ago! Below is me with Bobbe and Darlene. I can't even tell you how much I miss these two ladies. Also, please note that this will be one of the only times you see me in Purdue gear. Don't worry John...I'm not going to leave you out! It was so good to see you as well! I'm so glad that we were able to join you in the suite!


As soon as the game was over, we had to high-tail it out of there to pick up Zoe and head back to Berne. When we got back, we had 10 minutes tops to change our clothes and get to Justin's 10-year high school reunion. We already knew that we were going to be late, and Justin had to give the welcome. They didn't have the best showing, but there was a decent size crowd there. Since Justin and I started dating in high school, I knew several people from his graduating class. It was great getting to see what everyone has been up to. Even though we're all friends on Facebook, it was nice sharing old stories and memories in person. Everyone could tell that we had moved south because we dropped a few "you all's" and I was even told I had a slight Southern accent, but that it was cute!

By Sunday, both Justin and I were absolutely exhausted! We slept in and ate lunch before we hit the road again. We took our time getting home, but it seriously seemed to take forever! Between I-465 S being closed due to the tanker explosion and construction around Louisville, let's just say that I'm glad we don't have to make this trip again for awhile!

We got to see a lot of our friends this weekend, but unfortunately we couldn't fit everyone in. I guess there's always next year!

No comments: