Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Covered Hills

This time was going to be it.  It was going to be the real thing.  According to the meteorologists (and the shelves at the grocery stores), we were going to get hit with a winter storm.  And LOTS of snow and ice this time.  I didn't hold my breath.  How strange is it to think that we had a tornado touch down last week in a neighboring county and now we're getting snow?  I thought weather in Indiana was crazy!

I will admit that getting sent home from work early and getting a snow day the last time we were supposed to get snow spoiled me.  I was really hoping that we would get Friday off due to the impending weather that was headed our way.  However, at 5:00 a.m. Friday I realized that I was going to have to go to work because no one called or texted.  Am I pathetic or what!?  Thank goodness it was casual Friday!

Off to work I went where my co-worker and I talked all day about how we were hoping they were going to send us home.  Our friends kept texting us telling us that they were sent home, and we were getting jealous!  Justin had called me at work to tell me that I may want to think about coming home early.  He had just talked to some customers in Memphis who said they were getting slammed with sleet.  Knowing that the same storm was headed our way, I decided I would leave work a little early.  I did not want to sit through another repeat of what happened last time.  Let me reinforce to you that Southerners (most of them) do not understand the concepts of stay back...keep moving....and go slow.  I just don't have the patience to deal with that.  No sooner did I make that decision than we received an announcement that the office was closing at noon!  Hallelujah!  Quickly I shut down my computer, packed up my bag, locked my office and was out the door!  I'll admit...it's cold here right now.  What I couldn't believe was how all of my co-workers jumped in the car and just took off.  They didn't even clean off their windshields!  Don't they realize how important that is?  Do they not realize that you need to let your car warm up! I mean, I wanted to get home, but clearly I wasn't as concerned as the rest of them were.

The roads were in great shape!  In fact, I even stopped at the grocery store.  Actually, Sumner County (where we live) hadn't received much of anything, but people were driving like there was black ice all over the roads.  Oh---and speaking of black ice...the weather people on tv are telling people to keep their eyes open for black ice out there on the roads?  Seriously?  There's a reason it's called "black" ice.  I also want to mention that the snow must have scared off all of the criminals because all the news consisted of was snow, snow and more snow.  Seriously...they even had special coverage on it! 

It finally started hitting us later that night.  We didn't know what we going to have when we got up this morning.  Below is a progression of what our neighborhood looked like.  The first picture is about 1:00 Friday afternoon.  The second picture was taken around 8:00 Friday night.  The last picture was taken about 8:30 Saturday morning.  In the end, we probably received about 2" at our house.



Let me tell you, the snow here brings out the kid in everyone!  We saw all kinds of things!  Kids sledding down the middle of the street (not a smart move!).  Adults sledding down the sidewalks.  Even people snowboarding down the streets.  You can tell these people don't see this white stuff much!

No comments: