I'm not one who really gets into art. Don't get me wrong, there is great talent out there, but it just isn't something that interests me. However, every once in awhile, something will come through town that I am really intrigued by. A couple of years ago, I dragged Justin to the art museum to see a Tiffany Lamp exhibit. This year, there was a Chihuly exhibit in town.
I'm sure somewhere along the way you've caught sections of the PBS special, or you've seen the 43-foot tower of twisted glass at the Indianapolis Children's Museum....if this is the case, then you've seen Chihuly. Dale Chihuly is a glass sculptor. He has permanent collections located throughout the United States as well as items that travel across the county.
We had planned to go with some friends to see the exhibit, but time just slipped away from us. However, the exhibit has been so popular, they extended the dates. So, we decided to head out and see it at night. Here are a few pics from the evening. (By the way, I'm not a great night photographer, so I'm only posting the ones that turned out well!)
Either way, I was mesmerized by the size, magnitude and intricacies of these pieces. I was unable to take pictures of the chandeliers that were located inside the museum (no pictures allowed), but let me tell you, they were beautiful! After talking with the security guard, we learned that a small chandelier takes a day to install while the larger ones can take up to three days...at least for the ones that were located at Cheekwood. In addition, this glass doesn't break because it is some sort of crystal glass. As for weight, the small chandeliers weighed around 700 pounds while the large one we saw was around 1400 pounds. Again, I was amazed.
It seems that I have my "culture" in for the year, yet in the meantime, I can knock another item off the Nashville to-do list.

No comments:
Post a Comment