There are two things in life that I really despise doing. Shopping for a cell phone and shopping for a vehicle. Period. Thankfully, the cell phone was taken care of by Justin for me a few months ago, however, the latter of those two needed to be done. Not for me, but for Justin.
Why do I hate car shopping? Well...do you know anyone who likes it? You go into the dealership with the preconceived notion that every car salesperson is going to try to screw you over. You never get exactly what you want AND you never get it for the price you want. Haggle with them all you want and you might get close to what you went in originally for....type of car and price.
Car shopping with Justin is exhausting! He looks and looks and looks and looks some more. It eventually gets to the point where I just say "Get it" so we can move on (much like our recent tv purchase...don't you thinking looking for a tv for 3 years is a little excessive?) I was upfront with Justin and told him that I did not want to go....end of story. However, he really wanted me to go along. So bad that he even volunteered to help me with my homework.
Ever since we moved back from TN, Justin has been trying to decide if he wanted a Ford F-150, Dodge Ram or Toyota Tundra. We have driven through countless parking lots and I'm sure he's done tons of searching online. Finally, he decided he wanted a Tundra. So on Saturday, we headed to a Toyota dealership. We looked at trucks (many that we had already looked at before when the dealership was closed), test-drove trucks, and looked at some more trucks. I was doing my best, but I was getting grouchy. Did I mention that I hate car shopping?
Finally, Justin found one that he wanted. A 2011 model at that. NEVER in my life did I think I would see the day where MY husband would even CONSIDER looking at purchasing a NEW truck! (Dave Ramsey would be SO disappointed!) But, the 2011 model was the winner....and believe me, he was having a hard time wrapping his head around buying a new vehicle. Again, at this point I'm grouchy so this is where my "just get it" philosophy comes into play. Now, let me mention we had spent probably 2 1/2 hours at this point prior to any wheeling (no pun intended) and dealing. **SIGH** This was going to be a long day. Off we go to a salesman office where we start crunching and throwing out offers. Our first offer, way low of course, was immediately rejected. The counter offer was a littler lower than invoice pricing, but not much, and more than what Justin wanted to pay. Of course the salesman really wanted to make a sale and was trying to see what would get Justin to bite. He suggested another price. At this point, I'm cranky....we've been there 3 - 3 1/2 hours. I throw out an offer, slightly lower than the salesman (check out my mad sales skills!), that Justin was ok with. The salesman came back, and we had a deal! THANK GOODNESS!
Then of course it's off to the finance department. However...it was a Saturday. And not just any Saturday...the last Saturday before the major Toyota deals were over. Go figure. We wait another hour. (at least the Butler game was on). Finally a finance manager comes out to get us! We wrap up all of that paperwork and then go to get the truck! As we go to the leave, the salesman joins us again and says, "Before you leave, do you have a few minutes?" In my mind I want to say, "Why not...we've already been here for 5 hours, what's a few more minutes?" He wants to show Justin the features of the truck. Really? Again...5 hours at a car dealership....car shopping...something I really despise.....I JUST WANT TO GO HOME!
5 1/2 hours later....we're heading home and Justin is the proud owner of a 2011 Toyota Tundra.

No comments:
Post a Comment