Sunday, May 22, 2011

What Brings You to Ohio

Justin and I spent this past weekend in Columbus, Ohio.  Most people know that Justin is not a fan of the state of Ohio.  What doesn't he like?  Well, he is not a fan of "the" Ohio State University (he says everyone around there feels like it is the only university in the world), he feels Ohioans drive to slow, it takes 5 hours (too long) to drive across the state in any direction, and he feels that Ohio does not sell cars with turn signals.  So, I had to do some convincing for him to come with me.

The original plan for going to Cbus was because I had a baby shower to attend for my friend, Mary, who my roommate in college my freshman year at Huntington.  However, we have so many friends who live in Cbus, I decided we should spend the whole weekend.

We arrived into town Friday night and checked into our Marriott hotel (where else would we stay?  I'm married to a Marriott Platinum Rewards member.)  Saturday morning we got up and had a great breakfast with Justin's friend/Dow co-worker and his wife.  Unfortunately, it was a short visit because I had to head to the baby shower.

I've been known for my impressive gift-wrapping abilities, but I decided to do something different for this gift.  This gift was known as the "Sweet Treats" Basket, and I think it may be the cutest baby shower gift I've ever seen and given.





Afterwards, I went back to my friend's house to check out her super-cute nursery.  Although, I wouldn't expect anything less than a beautiful room as she does interior design for a living.  I can't wait until her little boy makes his entrance to this world!

While in Columbus, I told Justin we had to make our way to Jeni's Ice Cream.  This is the place I've blogged about before and was the inspiration behind making the Salty Carmel cupcakes.  Well, little did I know that when we left my friend's house, the closest location was in downtown Columbus.  Needless to say, Justin wasn't very excited about going downtown, and even less excited when he saw the line at the ice cream shop.  He wasn't as impressed as I was, but I was able get my salty carmel ice cream fix until my next visit to Cbus.


We went back to our hotel to kill time before dinner with Mary & David (the friend who had the baby shower), and I was able to crank out some homework while waiting for the supposed "end of the world."  I find it strange that someone who preaches the word of God missed Matthew 24:36:

  36 “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 


Anyways, dinner was great with fabulous company!  I think Mary and I may have set a record for the number of visits to each other in one year!

However, I couldn't help but look forward to Sunday morning....to meet up with my friend Jess!  We have known each other since elementary and grew up going to church together.  This is one lady that I don't get to see enough of!  I was trying to think of the last time I saw her, and the fact that I couldn't come up with a time meant it had been too long!  We also had the pleasure of meeting her fiance, Andy, for the first time.  After a great breakfast, we headed back to their house for a bit....(and trust me Jess, Justin could have stood there and talked turf all day!)

Unfortunately, we had to hit the road to get home and let our little munchkin out, but it was such a great weekend.  I love visiting Columbus, but being able to spend the weekend with so many friends made it even better!



No comments: