Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'll Be Home For Christmas

I can't believe that Christmas is just two weeks away! Where has the time gone? Not only that, but when I am going to find time to finish up my Christmas shopping? Usually, I'm the person who is always way ahead of schedule. Not this year. You would think that last year would have been bad with moving to Tennessee, but it wasn't. One thing that I have done (and I am very proud of) is that my Christmas cards are done and in the mail! If I have forgotten anyone this year, please forgive me!

Since we missed Christmas last year, I was thinking about some of the things that I am looking forward to this year and old Christmas memories. These are in no particular order:
  • Aunt Nyla's cookies, candies, goodies, etc! - I don't know how this lady pulls all of this off! Either way, that is something that I always remember and look forward to at Christmas with the Engle side. Oh it's SO GOOD! So Aunt Nyla, if you're reading this....no pressure!
  • Christmas Carols - I LOVE Christmas carols! Justin gets so frustrated with me because I always want to listen to carols in the car! And I don't think you understand...not just listen to them BUT sing along with them! In fact, I have a whole Christmas playlist on my iPod so that they are readily available at any time to listen to in the car! My Fav-O Holy Night!
  • Christmas Shows/Movies - What could be better then, "You'll shoot your eye out?" Or the old-school original television Christmas classics like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town, Frosty the Snowman, Frosty Returns, and The Little Drummer Boy. Yes, they are from like 1969, and yes, I wasn't even born yet...but seriously...CLASSIC! This is one of things I can't miss. Justin can't believe that I have to watch these every year!
  • Sitting in the living room with only the Christmas tree on - I don't know what it is about this, but I love it!
  • Decorating the tree - Every year, mom would let Mandy and I pick out new Christmas ornaments for the tree. This was always a big to do! My ornament always had something to do with what I was interested in that year unlike Mandy who got ornaments from the same series each year. We don't get to pick out ornaments any more, the tree is getting too full, but I love looking back at the ones from when I was little.
  • Candlelight Christmas Eve Service - Listening to everyone sing just gives me chills.
  • Visiting Santa Claus - Alright...so I haven't done this in years, but I do remember Dad always taking us to the Monroe Fire Station to see Santa. I think we also always came out with a goody bag. I think this could be one of my fondest memories of Christmas! I also remember the year my cousin Nate told me the truth about Santa!
  • Leaving cookies & milk out for Santa - Dad....I hope you enjoyed that!
  • Waking up Christmas morning - I didn't get out of bed easily as a child except for this day! So mom & dad - thanks for all you did to make Christmas special for us every year!
  • Spending time with family - As stressful as the holiday season is, it is always so great to see everyone. I think my family is unique in that when we get together...it's everyone! Aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Not many families still do this, and I think it's great that no matter where we live, or how busy we all are, we all make every effort we can to be there.
  • Building snowmen, forts, snowball fights, sledding - While I will say that I DON'T miss the snow at all these days, I loved doing these things as a kid. I remember when we used to have a snow mobile and we would beg Dad to take us out for a ride. Then beg even more to tie the sled on the back!
  • Christmas Spirits - No, I don't mean liquor! Everyone just seems to be in a good mood at the holidays. It just seems that no matter what is going on in our lives, Christmas just makes everyone happy!

However, we can't forget the real meaning of Christmas. I think we too easily get caught up in the wrapping paper, ribbons and the glitz and glamour of the holidays. It doesn't matter what gifts you get or how many cards you get in your mailbox. Thinking of the true story of Christmas brings it all back down to Earth for me. The wise men following the star, a man who stood by his wife, and a baby who would later save us. If it wasn't for this, we wouldn't have CHRISTmas. What matters is the real reason for the season! Don't be afraid to say Merry Christmas this year!

We'll be home in about a week and a half, and I'm packing the heaviest/warmest clothes I own. I'm thinking hoodies sound great! Hopefully, Zoe has some sort of undercoat. And I know many of you want some snow on the ground for a white Christmas...but I'll be just fine without it!

Merry Christmas!!!
~Audra

No comments: