Sunday, September 20, 2009

Stretch My Feet Out

We are falling apart in this house! I went to the doctor on Saturday (yes...my dr.'s office is open on Saturday mornings) because I've been having severe pain in the arch of my right foot. It's strange because this pain only happens when I'm in my zumba and step classes...classes where I'm on the ball of my foot. It will start hurting about 15 minutes into class, and the pain is pretty intense! But, I just suck it up and keep on going. With time, it usually seems to disappear.

So, I self -diagnosed myself with plantar fasciitis, but I went to the doctor just to make sure there was no sort of fracture. Sure enough, he believes that is what I have. The plantar fascia is a band of tissue, much like a tendon, on the bottom of your foot. It starts at your heel and goes along the bottom of your foot. The plantar fascia works like a rubber band between the heel and the ball of your foot to form the arch of your foot. And while most people have pain in the heel, it can be in different areas of the foot...mine just happens to be in the arch. What does this mean? It means that I need to take about two weeks off from my classes. Honestly, I'm not real happy being told that as those classes are what I look forward to when I go to the gym. So, I've decided that I'll take a week off from classes and then see how it goes. If it's not any better, then maybe I'll head down to the Good Feet Store to see what I can find. I'm not going to let this slow me down!

No comments: