Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pick Up My Gun

Watch out! Justin and I now have our TN Handgun Carry Permits. They arrived in the mail last night. We can officially carry a handgun on us, but of course there are lots of rules and laws to follow.

The laws in TN are changing quickly about handguns. Several new bills have passed in regards to where you can carry your gun. Carry Permit Holders are now able to carry in parks, unless signs are posted otherwise.

However, the most controversial and ongoing change was the bill that permit holders are now allowed to carry in establishments that serve alcohol, such as restaurants, bars and nightclubs. Of course, permit holders are not allowed to drink. Governor Bredesen vetoed the bill, but the House and Senate overruled his veto. I believe the bill goes into effect on July 14. Many owners of these establishments are concerned and upset about the legislature's decision. In fact, I heard several are even considering lawsuits. It could get interesting.

No comments: